US State Department spokesperson Price stated US position after former presidential candidate Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine withdrew elections petition case in court.
The new United States government led by Joe Biden has said it will consider targeting anyone involved in irregularities that they say marred the 2021 Uganda elections.
“Uganda’s January 14 elections were marred by elections irregularities and abuses by the government’s security services against opposition candidates and members of the civil society. We will consider a range of targeted options to hold accountable for what we saw in relation to Uganda elections,” said US Department of State spokesperson Ned Price at a press briefing on Tuesday.
The State Department called for an independent and thorough investigation of all election related abuses.
The US Department of State spokesman acknowledged the important role Uganda, and President Yoweri Museveni has played in regional stability, especially with AMISOM in Somalia, but said, “We can pursue our interests and values at the same time.”
Spokesperson Ned Price was responding to a question related to the decision by NUP presidential candidate Robert Kyagulanyi aka Bobi Wine, to withdraw his petition from the Supreme Court that he accused of being biased in favour of the incumbent Yoweri Museveni.
According to Uganda Electoral Commission results, Museveni won the January 2021 elections by 58.38% (6,042,893 votes), with Robert Kyagulanyi second with 35.08% (3,631,437 votes).
The Department of State advises the President and leads the nation in foreign policy issues. The State Department negotiates treaties and agreements with foreign entities, and represents the United States at the United Nations.
There statement is similar to that issued early this month by the European Parliament, warning of sanctions on anyone involved in election violence.
On February 11, members of the European Parliament voted overwhelmingly to adopt 19 resolutions taking stock of the human rights violations in Uganda.
Some of the resolutions include; justice and accountability for Ugandans who died in November riots, increasing scrutiny of Uganda’s fiscal management and transparency and systematic review of EU budget support programmes.
They also reiterated the need for sanctions against individuals and organizations responsible for human rights violations in Uganda.
Government dismissed all the accusations and last week President Museveni met the EU representatives in Uganda to reiterate their position that the foreign experts were simply misinformed and interfering in matters they do not understand.
“By involving yourselves in matters that you don’t understand, even if you do understand, you should not get involved because this kind of misconduct can lead to many serious consequences and suffering of the people like it happened in some African countries,” Museveni said at the meeting.
This article was published by The Independent.